Monday, March 23, 2009

Refreshing Drinks at Megamall's Bubble Tea

Still at Megamall, Jojo and I needed to rest our tired feet. We pretty much walked the whole mall from top to bottom -- not missing any store that would be of interest.

Near the skating rink in the basement, we found this gem of a place called "Bubble Tea." I absolutely LOVE these small Japanese cafes and restaurants. Tokyo Cafe at Megamall is one of my favorite places for comfort food. Sango! near Makati Cinema Square is also a favorite when it comes to burgers. Bubble Tea, after having it, is also my favorite now when it comes to, well, er...bubble teas! They're more commonly called as pearl shakes here in the Philippines, actually.
From their menu, you can see that Bubble Tea has about 40 different drink flavors. You get to choose whether you want it to be milk-based or tea-based. You can also have it as an iced drink with tapioca (bubbles/pearls) or a hot drink without anything on it. Bubble Tea also serves full meals with pasta, sandwiches, and rice meals as choices. And don't forget desserts! They have these beautifully displayed right by the cashier too. ;-)

Jojo and I were still full from our huge lunch at Chef Choi's Bistro. We initially planned to just order drinks. But the desserts were soooo inviting! I couldn't resist it. I was going to go for the Green Matcha Cake but since I wouldn't be able to finish it all, I decided to order something "safe" that Jojo and I could share. Jojo is not too adventurous when it comes to food and flavors. He's more of a Purist, really. So as a compromise, I chose to order Sans Rival Cake (P90) instead. I asked the cashier and she said that aside from their Matcha Cake, their Sans Rival comes second as their biggest best seller. ;-)

For our drinks, we both chose the smallest-sized, iced, milk-based drinks. Jojo got the Chocolate Milk Tea (P75) while I opted for Jasmine Green Tea (P75). Wow!!!!! We LOVED both drinks! They were soooo refreshing. Exactly what we needed after that long walk and that heat! The drinks were just right -- not too sweet at all. Most importantly, they were very generous with the tapioca balls. Even when we finished the drink, there were still lots of tapioca balls left at the bottom! Unlike Quickly or Zagu, their tapioca balls are much smaller and less "rubbery." The tapioca balls are "squishier" and not one of them had a hard center. It was just perfect! I liked how the texture of the tapioca balls complemented the thick, milky texture of the drink itself. Excellent! Jojo and I declared the drinks at Bubble Tea as a definite potential craving! ;-) I know for a fact that I'll be craving for their drinks a LOT over these hot summer months!

As for the Sans Rival cake, we have to be honest and say that it's not at all rave-worthy. It was terrible, actually. Jojo complained by saying that the cake was too nutty. Where's the cake? ;-) As for me, I thought it was too buttery. It was difficult swallowing it because it felt like I was just eating a whole block of butter with nuts! The Matcha Cake was the bigger bestseller so we're still not completely closing our doors to Bubble Tea's food and desserts. We still plan to give the others a try on our next visit there. We might as well. Because for sure, we know we're going back there for their drinks...;-) Hmmmm, which flavor do you think we should get next? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails