Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Top 10 Comfort Foods that I Miss in Calgary, Canada

In the spirit of Canada Day (July 1st), I'd like to share with you a list of all the food that I miss from Canada and in Calgary, in particular. As you may or may not know, I grew up in Calgary and just moved to the Philippines right after I graduated university. I've been in the Philippines for 6 years now and I've only been back in Calgary twice since then! But during my visits there or when I have relatives from Canada that come over to Manila, I never fail to ask them to bring me the items below for pasalubong. Manila is known to be pretty diverse and offers a good collection of international food items at grocery stores, delis, and restaurants. But sadly, none of the items below are available in Manila. Or if they do have them here, they just pale in comparison that I don't even bother to get them. Well, if you happen to be going on a trip to Canada or know people from there who will be coming over for a visit, you might want to jot down the list below. Trust me, you're in it for a treat! This is the best of what Canada has to offer. For all of us who are not going to Canada anytime soon, let's just pray, cross our fingers and hope that these are on their way to Manila soon! ;-)

1o.) Donairs

I just found out that this is a Canadian creation. From its Turkish roots, it's been given a twist. It's kind of like a shawarma or gyro, but not. ;-) The pita is toasted, added with cheese, beef or chicken, fresh tomatoes and onions. But instead of sprinkling it with a tzatziki dip, the donair has a much sweeter sauce. From my research, they say that the donair sauce is a mixture of condensed milk, vinegar, and sugar. It's really a very very yummy combination! Our go-to places for donairs in Calgary are My Donair and Uncle Moe's Donairs and Falafels.

9.) Safeway's Whole Roasted Chicken


Safeway is a grocery store that's not only available in Canada. It's also available in the United States although I don't think it's as famous there as it is in Canada. Also, for those that have tried Safeway's Roasted Chicken, you might say that our own S&R, Kenny Roger's, or even Baliwag Chicken is better. But there are days when I just crave for Safeway's type of chicken. It's peppery, very tender, light, and subtle in its flavor. I remember passing through Safeway with my family for an instant lunch during lazy and very wintery Sundays after mass in Calgary. We'd take the roasted chicken home and eat it with rice. Oftentimes, we'd dip the chicken in our concoction of soy sauce and melted butter for extra flavor. It reminds me of that warm, fuzzy feeling of being surrounded by family. And the chicken is great to boot! I haven't had anything as tender as Safeway's roasted chicken. ;-)

8.) Perogies and Sour Cream


Perogies are actually a Polish staple. But because Canada is so multicultural, perogies had long been introduced to the country through its large Polish population. Now, perogies are so common that you can order them in restaurants or buy them frozen at grocery stores! They come in so many delightful flavors and they're very easy to make. When you buy them frozen, they look like a cross between large Asian dumplings and Mexican empanadas. The difference is that the dough is not as soft as dumplings and they're not as thick and hard as empanadas either. Perogies come in so many different flavors and combinations of the following: cheese, potatoes, spinach, cabbage, sauerkraut, and meat. To cook them, you have a choice of boiling them to get that soft and gooey texture or by frying them in butter. How I usually cook mine is by boiling them so it's healthier. Then, after I drain them, I immediately put a bit of butter on top to let it melt. You may choose to put bacon bits on top too. I put a generous amount of sour cream on everything and there you go! But if you're health-conscious, you can eat it plain and still enjoy them.

I've been on the lookout for perogies here in Manila and I haven't found them yet. Earle's and Santi's Deli don't have them either. Although I have yet to check S & R for them. One of my students said that they're available there in bulk.


7.) Coffee and 'Timbits' at Tim Horton's


Krispy Kreme lasted only 2 odd years in Calgary before it decided to close down. Tim Horton's, on the other hand, must have been around even before I was born! And I think Tim Horton's is there to stay. Just like maple syrup, Tim Horton's is one of those things that people associate Canada to. Dunkin' Donuts can be found anywhere in the world but would you believe that we don't have that in Calgary??!?? Well, I think it's because Tim Horton's might have "monopolized" the coffee and donut industry in Canada. But you won't hear any complaints from me. ;-)

Tim Horton's has one of the best coffee I've ever tasted. It's brewed but it's not too strong. There's no weird aftertaste too. And it hits the spot perfectly, especially during harsh, cold, and "slushy" winters in Calgary. ;-) The coffee goes so well with what we call "Timbits." You know, I've gotten so used to calling those little donuts 'timbits' that I call them that when I order from Gonuts or Dunkin or Krispy Kreme. And I only realize that after I get that strange look from the cashier. ;-) They're aptly named don't you think? ;-) Anyway, Tim Horton's Timbits are soft (though not too too soft like Krispy Kreme), not too sweet, and they perfectly complement the coffee. There's no sugar rush or ick feeling after downing them both. What's more, when you order coffee at Tim Horton's, they've got this contest called "Rrrrrrroll up the rim to win!" ;-) You can get cash prizes and freebies if you're in luck. ;-)

On a side note, I love Tim Horton's coffee so much that we served them during our wedding rehearsal a year and a half ago. I got my sister to buy them for me before coming here to visit. As part of our gift set, we also gave away cans of brewed coffee to our principal sponsors during the wedding. They all loved it and were raving about the coffee too! ;-)

6.) Vietnamese Subs


I have been to Vietnam. But you know what the weird thing is? Although I've tried the authentic banh mi (Vietnamese sub), I still prefer the ones sold at Vietnamese stores in Calgary! I suppose those are authentic too because coming from a Vietnamese store, they were made by Vietnamese people too right? ;-) In Calgary, I know that we get these Vietnamese subs either in a store near Chinatown or one near this Asian grocery store in Forest Lawn. I actually prefer the latter. Ohhhh, just thinking about it makes my mouth water. First, they lather butter on a crusty baguette. Then you can choose between beef or chicken satay or vegetarian. After that, they put shredded carrots, cucumber, sliced onions, cilantro, and even cheese! The toppings are quite tasty. They seemed to have been marinated in something. Oh and when you bite into it, wow! There's that burst of flavor from the satay. Everything just goes so well together! The baguettes are crispy and crusty on the outside and as you bite in more, the actual 'meat' of the bread is soft as it's complemented by the butter, then you get to the vegetables, and finally, at the bottom, the generous serving of oh-so-flavorful meat! YUM! Hmmm. I wonder why they don't make it that good in Ho Chi Minh. The ones I had there were too bland. If you're going to Canada and in Calgary, in particular, please do yourself a favor and don't miss having a Vietnamese sub. In fact, don't miss eating at a Vietnamese restaurant altogether! Take your pick at the Vietnamese restaurants along 17th Ave in the Southeast. You can order with your eyes closed and everything will still be great! ;-)

5.) Swiss Chalet


It's been AGES since I've eaten at Swiss Chalet that I think I've honestly forgotten how everything tastes there. But I know I love it. I totally remember loving everything they serve there. I remember we'd often order their chicken dinners. They come with rotisserie chicken, bread rolls, and a choice of side dish (fries, mashed potatoes, baked potato, coleslaw, buttered corn, garden salad, Greek salad, or poutine). The side dishes are good but I remember that it's really the chicken that's to-die-for. The meat is tender and tasty and the sauce! Oh, it's something else, I tell you. It's not at all like gravy. It's not as thick and clumpy. The chalet sauce that goes with the chicken is sweet, peppery, and as a twist, might even have a bit of tomato sauce mixed in there. The sauce is a really nice and pleasant surprise. It goes so well with the chicken and it's different from the other chicken dips that we're used to. In fact, I think that Swiss Chalet's sauce has become very popular that a lot of people have been trying to replicate it. I found a number of these recipes online. I might give one of them a try these coming days. Now all I'm missing is the Swiss Chalet chicken! ;-)

4.) Taco Bell's Fries Supreme




















This is also another Canadian "thing." Just like how it is only the McDonald's in the Philippines that serve spaghettis, it's only the Canadian Taco Bells that serve Fries Supreme. And it's such a shame too! In my opinion, fries are so much better than hard nachos. It goes much better with the seasoned ground beef, sour cream, chives, tomatoes, and gooey cheese than nachos ever could! It's bad enough that the two Taco Bells in the Philippines are at Gateway Mall (Pasig City) and Trinoma Mall (Quezon City)! They're both far from where I live (Taguig City) so I really only get to eat Taco Bell maybe just once a year!

Being a cheese lover, Taco Bell's Fries Supreme is a recurring craving that I haven't satisfied for the longest time. And I'll have to go back to Canada for a visit just so I can have this again. Siiiigh. Hmmm. Maybe it IS time now for another visit! ;-)

3.) Cheesecake Cafe


There's a lot of Cheesecake Cafes all over the world. I think we even have one here in Manila. But I'm talking about the franchise that's only available in Calgary, Lethbridge, and Edmonton. Cheesecake Cafe is known in Calgary for their huuuuuge servings. I guess it's kinda like the Calgarian version of TGI Friday's. They have the same offerings except at Cheesecake Cafe, the whole highlight of each visit is, obviously, the cheesecake. ;-) When eating there, I remember we would get either Mocha Kahlua or the Turtle Cheesecake. We get one slice and I'm not exaggerating when I say that one slice is good for 5 or 6 people. And we're not talking 5 or 6 Anorexics either. ;-)

Their cheesecakes are thick and creamy at the same time. It's packed and when you eat it, you really have to savor it as you "unfold" each layer in your mouth. Let it swirl around and take your time. The cheesecake is rich but it's not too sweet. I haven't had cheesecake that can rival the one at Cheesecake Cafe. And they have a huge selection of cheesecakes to suit anyone and everyone. Aside from Mocha Kahlua and Turtle, you can also choose from Callebaut Chocolate, Lemon Raspberry Swirl, Cheesequake, Key Lime, Rolo, and Oreo. You can even ask to add any of the following toppings to the classic cheesecake: Sour Cherry, Raspberry, Blueberry, Callebaut Milk Chocolate, Callebaut Milk Chocolate and Caramel, Strawberry, and/or Four Berry. Hungry yet? ;-)

2.) Tiki Ming




























Tiki Ming, a Chinese fast food restaurant, has been around for the longest time too. As young as Grade 7, I remember my friends and I heading to Tiki Ming at the TD Square food court for our Friday "binge." ;-) And while I was going to University, Chinese fast food at Tiki Ming was something that I quickly associated with as a reward for hard work. ;-) Well, let's face it. I don't think there's anything healthy about eating it. Their set meals come with Chinese fried rice and a choice of two viands. I'd often go with Sweet and Sour Pork or Ginger Beef and pair it with Mixed Vegetables. Everything is a bit greasy and it might even have MSG mixed into it. But what the hey. It's soooo delicious! Sinful but soooo good! The meat is very flavourful and saucy. The fried rice can be a meal on its own too. And the vegetables are crunchy and everything is served in generous portions. All this goodness in one big plate plopped together. ;-) I often feel guilty eating it afterwards but I do get over it very quickly. Eating Chinese fast food is a guilty pleasure--especially the way Tiki Ming does it. But it's ALL worth it, trust me. ;-)

1.) Cookies By George

I'm a big dessert lover. And believe me when I say that nothing, absolutely NOTHING compares to the way Cookies By George makes their cookies. Not only do they have such interesting flavours, but the cookie itself, wow! I've died and gone heaven after each bite! The flavors range from the typical: Classic Chocolate Chunk, Milk Chocolate, Chewy Oatmeal Raisin, and Peanut Butter to the creative: Reverse Almond Chocolate Chunk, Cappuccino Chocolate Chunk, M&Ms, Macadamia Chocolate and Macaroon Chocolate! My most favorite is the Cappuccino one. I can eat this forever and never tire of it! Where do I start? Cookies By George does not lie when they say "Chocolate Chunk." They're huge! And these chunks are all over the cookie. The cookies have the perfect 'chewy-ness' too! They're not too soft that they break apart while you're holding it. It's a little crispy on the outside but when you bite into it, you'll get into gooey layers inside it. The Cappuccino Cookie has chunks of white chocolate and the coffee taste is subtle. Not overpowering but not too too subtle that you'll doubt whether it IS a coffee-flavored cookie. Their cookies are large and thick and buttery. You know that they don't scrimp on the ingredients. And they're all high quality ingredients too from the chocolates to everything else! I LOVE it! How I wish I could bring Cookies By George to Manila. Famous Amos and Mrs. Fields' would go bankrupt! ;-)

Whenever I have family coming to Manila to visit, Cookies By George is my number one request. They can forget my MAC lipstick, Gap perfume, or La Senza bra and underwear sets. Just DON'T forget Cookies By George, PLEEEEASE!!! ;-) Hahaha! My sister is coming over in September and until then, I guess I have to wait three months before I can have Cookies By
George again. I'm patiently counting down the days...;-)

________________________
Photo Sources:

http://www.medicinehatmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/samirs_donair.jpg
http://sammitt.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/roasted-chicken.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3459/3176309386_da0e4f7a49.jpg
http://movershakerbirthdaycakebaker.blogs.com/generation_exhausted/coffee_and_timbits.JPG https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEggEaQVfyNSDVOjcirtyRnMR3oQeSI2rpDRNyzsjCOQAL_gSVqxQZlGUNREOlgE1FwjxglYzkV9BvWS-LlyBAruoUQhR-UtxUzHpKnyOAZ3L3kcmGvLYb8qLt-A7mzbYgjbAw5ZOeL9PKQ/s640/banhmi.JPG
http://www.cheesecakecafe.ca/images/main-pics3.jpg
http://smartcanucks.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/swiss-chalet-chicken.jpg
http://brianpmichael.com/images/Design/Thumbs/TacoBell_FriesSupreme_v.2.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3605/3355204524_349a078a0c.jpg
http://vanfoodies.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/p1000631.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails