Thursday, September 10, 2009

Going Provincial at Hacienda Escudero

Through the years, a number of our balikbayan relatives have been to Hacienda Escudero -- commonly known as Villa Escudero. It felt like we were the only ones who hadn't been there.

The perfect opportunity for us to go there was when my Dad visited us from Calgary last July. It was also my birthday weekend. Knowing how packed they get during weekends, I immediately called Hacienda Escudero to make the necessary reservations. To secure the reservation, we just had to make a 1,000-peso deposit in a bank account, and then call them back after a day or so. It all went very smoothly.

We went to Hacienda Escudero on a Saturday. From our place here in Taguig, Hacienda Escudero is just a 90-minute ride away. We got there at around 9:30 in the morning. The four of us -- my Dad, my husband, my uncle, and myself checked in and decided on just going for the day trip (P1,250/adult and P625/child below 4 feet during weekends; P1,105/adult and P550/child from Mon-Thurs). While waiting, we were given welcome drinks by the staff. We each got a refreshing glass of Sago't Gulaman (a cold drink with grass jelly and tapioca).

The staff at Hacienda Escudero were very attentive. They were stationed at certain spots so you're not bound to get lost. From the lobby, we had the option of going to the museum first or to get on a carabao cart-ride to the actual resort. We decided to go to the musem first.

From the outside, the museum looked like a grand cathedral! It was very picturesque. The down side is that as soon as you step inside the museum, you're told of their strict rule. That is, no pictures allowed! I was very disappointed with that. The museum was beautiful on the inside. They have these beautiful chandeliers and the religious relics they have there are quite unique. The museum had a variety of items that were sort of just put together. There were dried insects, old coins and bills, dioramas, silverware, antique furniture, paintings, and many others. I really enjoyed the collection of Filipino wear -- showing how it had evolved through the years. The museum even had on display some of the clothes worn by Filipino presidents during pivotal events. I had a good time at the museum. But honestly, I would have enjoyed it ten thousand times more if the museum number 1.) was lit better; 2.) was less dusty; 3.) had taken better care and maintenance of their collection; and 4.) had allowed us to take pictures!!!! I think you can tell I'm still bitter about that. ;-) I don't think pictures (even with the flash) would do any harm. The harm is in the fact that the museum hasn't been taking care of their collection. Most of the items had dust all over it or were affected by the moisture in the place. I understand that the museum is open 7 days a week. But really, they should find the time to clean everything up. It would be such a waste. The place seemed too dusty that I was scratching all over upon leaving the museum. I think I have an allergy to dust. And the museum certainly did not help my condition.

We finished touring the museum in about 40 minutes. From there, we took some pictures of the little garden, the square, a few monuments, and the Escudero home. Of course, no one is allowed to go in so we just took pictures from the gate. ;-)

Before we knew it, we were already on our way to the carabao-ride "station." ;-) We got on the cart and chuckled when we saw the name of our carabao. She's named Mutya. ;-) The carabao that just left before us was named "Sexy." ;-) Hahaha! ;-) Filipinos are very silly. ;-)

We were accompanied by live music on our carabao ride. At the back sat a female singer and her guitarist slash back-up singer. ;-) They sang folk songs which put smiles on my Dad and Uncle's faces. I'm sure the songs brought a lot of memories. ;-) It was a very relaxing ride. The air was fresh and we could see open fields and trees everywhere. We secretly hoped the resort was farther! ;-) Sadly, after 5 minutes, we had already reached the resort.

Getting off, we saw all these signs pointing to the different activities that you could do. Let's see. During your stay at the resort, you can do any of the following: go swimming, fishing (you have to buy your fishing line and bait), go rafting, hang out at their restaurant by the river, have lunch at the Labasin Falls (buffet lunch included with the entrance fee), go shopping at their tiiiiiiiiny souvenir shop, have a buko juice drink from one of their stalls, play badminton (you have to rent the equipment), or "cam-whore" it with the numerous photo-op locations available in the area. ;-)

It was just a few minutes before lunch so we decided to just walk around and you guessed it -- "cam-whore" instead! ;-) Truly a Filipino thing to do in a Filipino hacienda, hey? ;-) Hahaha! ;-) We walked to the pool, their restaurant, that area by the river, and even took a peek at the nipa huts that you could book for overnight stays! Wow. We saw the suite and they even have a hammock there with a good view of the river. We were told they go for around P10,000 a night. Not bad considering that you can easily pack 20 small Filipino bodies in there...;-) Hahaha. ;-)

They started serving lunch at 11. At 10:55, we were already at the Labasin Falls. I got all excited seeing the waterfalls and the tables position right beside it. The water was cold and it's so much fun to eat with your feet submerged in the water! You'll have to be extra careful though because some areas are pretty slippery. Anyway, as for the food, I'm not sure if the choices change every week or they have a set menu. But our choices for that Saturday included a healthy ensalada, various grilled items (tilapia, pork barbecue, other seafoods), fried chicken, afritada (a stew with meat, potatoes, and tomato sauce), guinataang kalabasa (squash and string beans in coconut milk), pancit (noodles), kangkong (water spinach), caramelized bananas, and tapioca in sweetened coconut milk. Everything was good and tasty! They all went well together. We enjoyed eating with our hands (their plastic utensils were pretty weak) and on banana leaves too! Not the best Filipino food but simple enough and the flavors were straightforward. Nothing fancy, really. Just like homecooking! ;-)

We were told about the 3:30 cultural show at their restaurant by the river. We headed there after eating to reserve a nice table. My Dad and uncle had San Miguel beer while Jojo and I walked around to explore. We didn't bring our bathing suits so couldn't go swimming. I wanted to go water rafting but there was a slight drizzle so we opted against that too. Fishing was an option but we didn't see too many fishes. I thought it would be a waste of time. So Jojo and I just went to their tiiiiiny souvenir shop. That was another waste of time too. There wasn't a lot to see! Apart from taking better care of their museum, I think that Hacienda Escudero should focus on adding more activities for their guests. There should be activities to represent all interests. Maybe it's the "city girl" in me but I got bored easily. I needed something to divert my attention but there wasn't a lot of that. I guess I'm just not used to this much peace and quiet. ;-) But my Dad and uncle really enjoyed it though. They liked the serenity of the place. ;-) I was going to give Hacienda Escudero a "thumbs down." But something changed my mind.

At 3:30, we were ready to watch the 75-minute cultural show. Wow! I was EXTREMELY blown away! It was amazing. There was a lot of folk dancing, singing (rondalla as accompaniment), and even martial arts (Kali). The choreography represented the various dance forms and styles in each region. It was well-rehearsed and I was amazed with the precision of the dancers. I particularly liked the all-male segment where every other dancer had to jump from one person's shoulder to another in full speed and then balancing. My jaw dropped at the end when we were told that the dancers in the show were the trained staff of the resort. They were the janitors, waiters, drivers, cashiers, cooks, and what-not of Hacienda Escudero! Amazing. They all did a wonderful job. The show made me all giddy afterwards because I had an even better appreciation of the Filipino talent and the beauty in our art form.

At around 4:30, we were ready to go back home. Instead of a carabao ride, we opted for a jeepney to take us back to the entrance. We bought a few souvenirs from their more decent shop there. Overall, it was a wonderful experience. Sure, some of their facilities were worn out and unkept. But all of this is forgivable, really. I would still recommend this to Filipinos looking for something to do during weekends or balikbayans/tourists wanting to get a glimpse of provincial life here in the Philippines. It's a real treat for 1,250 pesos. I would pay 1,25o pesos for the show alone! ;-) Everything else is just an added bonus. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails