Monday, November 1, 2010

My Current Addiction

If you know me or are a follower of this blog, you're probably thinking that this is another shopping entry. ;-) Yes, I AM addicted to shopping too. But no, this is not a shopping entry. It revolves around my second love, actually. And that is: eating! ;-)

In particular, I'll be talking about some of my favorite grocery store-bought snacks. When my husband and I watch a movie at home, our go-to snack is Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream. The chips are not only very crunchy but the combination of the sour cream and cheddar (lots of it!) is just perfect! We don't even need a dip to go with it. Actually, eating it with dip is not a very good idea since the chips alone seem "sinful" as it is. The dip will just be piling the calories some more.

When we have a hankering for chips with dip, we go for the cheese or sour cream-flavored Piattos. It's a local brand and it tastes very light. It goes really well with a homemade dip. Just buy some sour cream (we go for Nestle), chop some garlic, mix it together, and let it cool. Take it out of the fridge after a few minutes and there you have it! Just remember to gargle with mouthwash or at least, pop in some breath mints after eating this. Pity the people around you who will have to stand your dragon breath if you don't! ;-)


Here in Asia, seafood-flavored chips is a big deal. Give it a chance. They're really not bad. Our favorite is Okeji Tempura Chips. The chips are light and airy with a mild crunch. There are bursts of flavor everywhere and because it seems like a light snack, it would be easy to eat it mindlessly. You're watching a movie, you have a large bag in front of you and before you know it, you've actually finished more than half of it on your own! ;-) That's probably why they only sell large bags of Okeji. I haven't seen any grocery store sell them in small bags...



Although I don't get to have it very often, another favorite of mine are Ikea's Dill-flavored chips. I only get to buy these when we're out of the country since it's not available here. The flavor of the chips certainly wakes up your taste buds. It's a unique taste, actually. I imagine not everyone will like it. But if you enjoy eating salt n' vinegar-flavored chips, this should become a favorite. It's sour and salty combined really well. I love it!

Just recently, Jojo and I found two new faves. That's actually an understatement. More aptly, they should be called our current addiction! ;-) One of them is called Red Rock Deli Chips. We discovered it by chance. We were at Rustan's grocery and there was a stall that offered us a free taste of the different variants. The flavors that are available here are Honey Soy Chicken,
Sea Salt, Lime and Black Pepper, and the one that we liked the most -- Sweet Chilli and Sour Cream. We got to try the others and none of them were bad. In fact, a close second favorite would be Lime and Black Pepper. ;-) We only needed to buy one bag though so we chose to get Sweet Chilli and Sour Cream -- the flavor that the the two of us unanimously voted as our number one choice! ;-) I found out that Red Rock Deli also makes chips with the Tzatziki flavor. Wow! This might potentially bump off Sweet Chilli and Sour Cream as my number one! It's too bad that it's not available here yet. Just gotta wait! In the meantime, we'll be stocking up on our new favorite chips which brags that they have "authentic seasonings, no artificial flavors, and colours or preservatives." How great is that! ;-)

Another healthy snack that I discovered was actually introduced to me by a co-worker. My friend Yazmin, being a mother of five, always has a bag full of snacks wherever she goes. ;-) She's one who likes to try new things at the grocery too. One time, she shared with me a new find. They're rice crackers so at first, I wasn't interested. I'm not really fond of rice crackers. When she offered it again and convinced me that I would like it, I decided to give it a chance. They're called One One Hot Chilli-Flavor Rice Crackers by Monde. It says in the package that it has no cholesterol and that it's baked which translates to a healthier snack. One bag comes with 10 small packs of rice crackers with two pieces in each bag. I wondered why they had to be wrapped individually like that. I was thinking what a waste it was of plastic. But when I took the first bite, I understood why. Man, these rice crackers are VERY crunchy! Oooooh and the flavor, wow! There's a burst of flavor from the first bite to the last! I absolutely loved it! Now to be honest with you, of course it does not compare with Ruffles chips. But for a much healthier alternative, it will do. It has the flavor, it has the crunch, what else do you need? ;-) I imagine that in the future, they'll have variants of this in other flavors. Hopefully they come up with a cheese-flavored one! ;-)


Planning for a movie night at home? You might want to try one of my favorites above. You might end up liking it. In the mean time, 3 more days till the weekend! ;-)


SOURCES:

http://www.fritolay.com/assets/images/blue/RUFFLES_Cheddar_Sour_Cream.gif

http://www.philamfood.com/images/P/4800016671500.jpg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg55sw01pgJfHUqdLjcdVcRgx5IR3mvaoRRZh7KJORG8p1jSGpHByqIYeQz0xwqymnZLuLaC2Q7K7mb9tXkuhSd_yS08nQHTnuWZBRE7-F6r-V1FkT5wX_vDtuCYAC_i7dMTsfP3LczaTL3/s400/21062008394.jpg

http://www.pinoygoods.net/img/p/121-167-large.jpg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgNPukBbb-OdQswi4PZnZkWABE3fPZblz5KFNaL9iBhXhVoIMjSoUZoCCXy4mgOleFqcKnmuN4NN0mLWWujT538DXSjJuZEftJbSfAL24zvrq2yCk7MenXoFBI4aLQyKSyGUE7KiWkYbs8/s400/IMG_0650s.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails